Oil and Gas, Chemical and Pharmaceutical Industries
ISC provides independent, high quality control engineering consultancy services to the oil and gas, chemical and pharmaceutical industries.
ISC specialises in:
- Solving difficult practical control problems that other suppliers have looked at but failed to solve;
- Optimal control design and parameters that yield the most profitable or best way of operating a plant or system;
- High-fidelity dynamic simulation for:
- Benefits analysis of process and control modifications.
- De-risking the design and commissioning of new process equipment and control systems.
- Re-tuning troublesome control loops.
Our simulation models are always validated to the highest standards against plant data from production or prototype testing, to ensure that the simulation accurately represent the real system.
Optimal control solutions can range from simple classical feedback/feedforward to advanced control, such as model-based methods like MPC. Nevertheless, simplicity remains a key objective in our solutions, providing performance criteria can be met.
Our clients include Shell, BP, Marathon Oil, Total, LGE, GSK, DSM and Johnson Matthey.
More information about our oil and gas industry capabilities can be found here .
Our latest event for the process industries is our new Introduction to Upstream Process Control: Separators and Compressors training event.
Information about our general training courses can be found here.
- Simulation of Membrane Filtration Package for Offshore Produced Water - ISC developed a first principles model of this novel process for use on an offshore oil platform. This was to de-risk and refine the process design as it went through the design and factory testing phases, so that our client had much greater confidence of the system working properly as it moved to final commissioning and use. The model was able to replicate system operation in all expected produced water flow rates and quality, and we were able to refine recommended operational procedures, control strategy and loop tuning. (Download Presentation note)
- Assessment of Process Changes - A chemical company wanted to greatly reduce the size of a mixing vessel to minimise waste when changing recipes. A dynamic model was built to assess the viability of level control and the impact on composition and wider process operations. (Download project note)
- Main Oil Line Pump Instability - offshore oil production was modelled using Hysys.Plant. The source of the instability was a combination of a controller constraint and error-squared mode of operation.(Download project presentation)
- Correct Vessel Sizing - Use of a dynamic model to determine vessel size for a new chemical plant and to validate effect on upstream and downstream operations prior to being commissioned.
- Evaporation Tower Level Instability - Manual operation for an important level controller had become the norm due to instability when in automatic. Two problems were identified - unreliable level measurement and poor tuning. A plan to deploy a different sensor design and subsequent retuning was put in place to solve the problem. (Download project note)
- Cascaded Tanks Instability - A new multi-million pound production process was operating at 70% of its designed throughput. After two years without a resolution to the problem, ISC was engaged and quickly found inappropriately used function blocks in the DCS code. These were removed and controllers retuned to remedy the problem.
- Operator Training Tool - For a rarely used manufacturing plant to capture the knowledge of an aging workforce, to represent and deploy it in a form that could be used for new staff training.
News and Events
- Training Course: Control Fundamentals, 6th - 8th June 2017, Glasgow
- Training Course: Optimisation and Genetic Algorithms, 5th & 6th July 2017, Glasgow
- Training Course: Modelling, Identification and Estimation, 19th & 20th September 2017, Glasgow
- Training Course: Linear and Nonlinear Predictive Control, 28th & 29th November 2017, Glasgow
We can adapt individual courses to suit your company's industry/business. (Examples)
Looking for control improvement?